This page intentionally left blank.
Search Results for: page/2
So you have decided to sell your home, what is your next step? Of course we could say “contact a REALTOR® now!” but wait! You should get your house in order first!
- Organize, De-clutter & Clean Before you even call an agent, go ahead and start organizing your home and clearing out any clutter. Once complete, you can do a deep clean! It is amazing how much fresher and brighter your home will look with just professionally cleaned carpets, steam cleaned furniture and crystal clear windows!
- Hire a REALTOR® to sell your home for you! Contact one of our agents and see how we differ from other companies out there. Our agents use the most up to date technology available to market your home and prepare a solid marketing plan to help sell your home in the shortest possible time. Here is a good tip – interview several agents to find one that you are happy with and who is eager to work with you. Make sure you ask lots of questions about the process outlined on this page and always pick an agent who makes use of the internet for their listings. With over 90% of home searches beginning online, you cannot afford not to! Don’t try and sell your home yourself, unless you plan on spending thousands of dollars on a marketing campaign and making the effort your full time job, you couldn’t get the same exposure as a tech-savvy Real Estate agent who is using all the latest tools at their fingertips.
- Pricing With the help of your agent who will perform a comparative market analysis (CMA) to give a realistic value of your property it is up to you to set a listing price for your property. Remember this advice; price your home too high and you won’t get much interest, price too low and you might miss out on thousands of dollars you could have received. Pricing is a blend of art and science, by having an experienced agent who is familiar with your local market you can be sure that you will have the most up to date knowledge and can set a price that you will feel comfortable with. Be realistic!
- Listing Agreement Once you have set a price and your agent has their marketing plan in hand, it is time to draw up a listing agreement with your agent. This is a document which sets out a timeline for how long your home with be listed for with a start and end date as well as any personal possessions included in the sale and the compensation to the Real Estate Broker.
- Showing your home This is the step which buyers love but sellers loathe! Admittedly it can be no fun having groups of strangers traipsing around your home. However, it isn’t your home anymore, you are selling it remember? So make yourself scarce for this part of the process, that way you won’t be inclined to listen to what potential buyers are saying and it will stop the atmosphere being uncomfortable for prospective buyers. Imagine if you were looking at a home to purchase and you had the homeowner listening to your every word or watching your every move, it wouldn’t be very comfortable would it?
- Offers Your agent’s (and your) handwork has paid off! You have offers by buyers wanting to purchase your home, congratulations! Your agent will help you examine these offers and potentially start the negotiating process if it isn’t exactly what you are looking for. This is where having an experienced agent helps as they will know how best to handle the situation and can adapt to a changing situation quickly.
- Appraisal This is the part that sellers and buyers can be nervous about is there is financing involved, a small issue raised by an appraisers report can put the brakes on everything. However, by using an experienced agent who has helped you price your home competitively for your market you shouldn’t have any worries about its value not appraising as expected. But! Should an issue arise it may mean time for more negotiation, if this occurs, try and be flexible!
- Closing If you reach this far, you have done it! The paperwork is all signed, sealed and delivered. Money has changed hands and hopefully everyone is happy. You have sold your home! Congratulations. Often right before this happens buyers and/or their agents will undertake what is called a “Final Walk Through” of your property to make sure it is all in order per the contract in place. This isn’t usually anything to worry about. Make sure when you are around the closing table that you ask any final questions you have about any paperwork and make use of the professionals you have surrounded yourself with for this transaction!
Phew! That is how you sell a home. Where next for you? Well, before you even look at selling, make sure you are prepared for your next move. If it is buying another property, start the buying process by getting pre-qualified for a loan and getting your finances in order and talking to an agent, it might even be the same one you use to sell your existing home.
If you are a seller thinking of listing your home for sale, contact our team today for professional real estate advice in helping you sell your property!